30g bread flour
80g full fat milk
90g full fat milk
10g instant yeast
340g bread flour
2 eggs - cold
50g butter chilled cubes
70g brunoised red onion
1. To make the Tangzhong, in a small sauce pot add your flour and milk and whisk on a medium heat for 2 minutes. The mixture looks like a roux or mash potatoes.
*a Tangzhong is a Japanese roux type mixture which is used in bread as it attracts moisture, thereby making bread incredibly fluffy.
2. Place your Tangzhong in a bowl covered with plastic wrap in the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes.
3. In a bowl with a dough hook attachment, add all your brioche ingredients, except for the butter.
4. On a low speed, knead these ingredients for about 12 - 15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough will be stretchy, which indicates enough gluten development.
5. After these 12 - 15 minutes, add your butter one cube at a time while the dough hook is still on a low speed.
6. After all the butter is incorporated, knead for another 10 minutes until the dough passes the window pane test.
*to do a window pane test, take a small piece of dough and gently stretch it until it is so thin (and does not break) and light passes through.
7. Roll the dough mass into a boule (a big ball) and leave to proof for 2 hours, or until doubled in size. The dough can also be left covered in the fridge overnight, and the process can be continued the next day.
8. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough down and divide and shape into eight equally sized balls. Each ball should weigh roughly 85-90g.
9. With a rolling pin on a floured surface, roll each ball into a flat disc and fill each one with 8g red onion and 20g of mozzarella in the center of the disc.
10. Then using the outer parts of the dough disc, enclose the dough over the mozzarella and onion and pinch the dough closed.
11. Place the balls on a lined baking tray with some distance between them to allow them to proof until doubled in size. Egg wash each dough ball.
12. 15 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 175 C.
13. Just before baking, finish the dough with a second egg wash and sprinkle with salt to garnish.
14. Bake in the oven for 16 - 18 minutes.
15. Remove from the tray immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.